Monday, January 31, 2011

Yo Ho Ho and a Cupcake of Rum

The city of Tampa celebrated one of its biggest traditions over the weekend - Gasparilla. It is a celebration of Jose Gaspar, a pirate who terrorized the waters of West Florida in the 18th and 19th centuries. The annual celebration begins with the Ye Mystic Krewe of Gasparilla pirates invading Tampa Bay. Yep, a ship full of pirates come and take over the city.



Once the pirates take over the city, they celebrate with a parade down picturesque Bayshore Boulevard.


I didn't bother with the parade this year. I didn't feel like fighting the crowds or dealing with the drunken chaos and shenanigans to catch beads. I did, however, make it out to the invasion. It started with a breakfast gathering at a friend's house, complete with chocolate chip pancakes and mimosas (yum). And of course, I brought along some cupcakes to commemorate the occasion. 



Beware mateys, these rum cake cupcakes with buttered rum glaze and rum buttercream were strong. Everyone seemed to like them, but I am not a big rum fan so I could smell and taste the rum immediately.

I have to say, for someone who said they were avoiding Gasparilla all together this year. I am glad I made it out to the invasion with my friends. It had a good time and still managed to get out of South Tampa easily before the parade began.

And for those of you already counting down to next year, the Gasparilla Pirate Fest will be held on January 28, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment